Thursday, May 24, 2012

Happy eighteenth to meee

Yep, so it's my birthday and I'm legal now haha. I don't feel any different though! And just received a birthday message from le primary class teacher awh :)

I feel so sleepy now but I'm sitting here on my laptop, blogging.

So I don't think many people have ever heard of her, but Diana Wynne Jones is my favourite author, ever. Like, she wins, hands down. I have about twenty of her books and I've borrowed quite a few more from the library. And last week I got The Merlin Conspiracy from the swimming club library, which I've finished and am gonna mini review it now!

The book is the second book of the duology Magids and is written from two different characters' perspectives - Nick and Roddy (who is a girl, btw). As to be expected, totally brilliant. The imagination involved never fails to blow my mind! The two are from different worlds, quite common in Wynne Jones' books actually. And she almost always finds some way to fit our Earth in when her stories involve travelling between worlds lol. So basically Nick lives on Earth but was originally from another world, and Roddy lives in Blest, and both of them live in the UK of their respective worlds. Roddy travels with the court and along with her friend Grundo find out about the evil scheming between some of the court wizards and they have to find some way to stop them, where she crosses paths with Nick as she is trying to get help. I know it sounds so lame and childish (wth) but the way Wynne Jones writes is so captivating. There's a lot of 'it's a small world' in this book (or small worlds *wink wink*) which relates most of the characters to each other. Also, there's a bit of hinting towards romantic interest between Nick and Roddy but the end leaves you hanging to wonder what happened between them after the story ended. Oooh haha. Loved it.

If you're a fan of fantasy fiction and the sort, definitely check out Wynne Jones' books if you can get your hands on them! I promise you won't be able to put them down :)


Ahh so in a week I'll be leaving for Taiwan with KVWO. I'm not in the orchestra though, don't misund lol! I'm there to help my mum carry stuff and videotape their performance, and just throw missing chunlei in there too =_= Getting to use mum's dslr there heheh since she she says it's too heavy and she wants to use mine cuz it's way lighter. She only needs hers for performance pictures so i'm there to help lug it around. Whatevs mum's cam is awesome >:)

UK trip was cancelled because the air tickets are too expensive gah. Parents are going after I've started school though BOOHOO. The brother has a three and a half month holiday over there wth!

On a brighter note, I'm probably gonna perform at the Dewan Filharmonik Petronas in July! :) Some kind of cello recital. I was kinda apprehensive when my teacher told me about it cuz I said I wasn't good enough but he said I'm okay so I'm hoping he's right about that! Gonna have to start practising again real soon.

Alright, just a quick update there and I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment